The Follow-up


2 months before the school term starts, GGH will contact you with an accommodation form to fill up so they can help you to find a right place to stay and of course you have the option to find a place by yourself. Although you won’t find INCUL’s dormitory in the accommodation form but GGH will still be able to help you liaise with them, you will just still need ask GGH about it.

1 option beside INCUL’s dorm, that I am looking at, is Borderless House. However I will stay at INCUL’s dorm at the start to get familiar with the area and judge if it is worth the difference in price. Those cheaper option are usually further away from school and unless I am planning to cycle to school, the price difference is not that significant to me after taking into account of the time and $ spent on public transport.


By this time, 1 month before school, you should been informed of your accommodation availability and the issue of Certificate of Eligibility. Now comes the most important step, which is to start to pay up (6 months for school and 3 months for dorm). You will need to do this fast so the school can send out the CoE to you, then you can proceed to do the Student visa at your embassy.

INCUL will require you to pay by using an online remittance call Flywire. It is actually quite simple and fast. All you have to do is register, choose your school and enter your Student ID and Receipt Reference ID. Flywire will then lock-in the current FX rates and you will have 5 days to transfer the money, so choose a good day to do it as it can be a difference of SGD$30-SGD$50 between good/bad day.

Flywire can accept online banking or credit card payment but credit card have an additional charge of approx SGD$200 which is ridiculous.  Using online banking will also incur SGD$30 (based on DBS) for remittance fees but it will still be cheaper then paying by credit card.

PS: If you are also staying in INCUL’s dorm, remember to pay both the school and dorm bills together. I made a mistake and pay separately and I incurred the remittance charge twice and got a different FX rate for the 2nd transfer.


The Beginning

There is 2 ways to register for study in INCUL.

  1. Through INCUL website, where you can download the application form
  2. Through an agency called GOGONIHON. It is free to use their services and I guess they earn by commission (I believe nothing comes free). GOGONIHON is also an affiliate of INCUL (INCUL oversea offices)
  3. I don’t know if this works but you can give it a try which is to contact their oversea office (Link on #2) and ask if they can help you to register. For Singapore, it would be IKOMA Language School.


I think it would be easy to register through INCUL website but I chooses to go through GOGONIHON (GGH) instead. This is because I visited GGH facebook and find that they regularly host events for students to gather and I would like this opportunity to get to know more friends in Tokyo.

So I went to GGH website and submit my application form. Point to note: I would recommend to screenshot all the information you input on that website as you would need to fill it up again on a different form. Once submitted, a staff from GGH would contact you through email with all the relevant government/school forms. The entire process is quite straight forward and simple, the staff is also very responsive (within 48 hours) and of course they don’t work on weekends.


Once you have settled the forms, there is nothing left to do until 1 month before school starts. You can take this time to source for your accommodation and flight tickets.

The Idea

wp-1489697723647.jpgSo I have decided to go to Intercultural Institute of Japan (INCUL) in Tokyo to study japanese.

However there seems to be a lack of information on the process so I decided to make a blog and share whatever that I know.

I should clarify that I am not paid to write any of this or any other posts.

Blog at

Up ↑